Wednesday 4 May 2011

World of Film - What's the deal 2011? Part 3

'Latest Upcomings'

Amazingly, we've now entered May, and yet I have not been to the cinema once this year. I haven't really encountered any films so far that have made me desperate to see them. That doesn't mean that I haven't seen a trailer and though 'that looks pretty good'. Because I have. In fact there are a number of films coming out this year that I would like to watch, but (for the majority of them) I can easily wait until they're out on DVD or shown at my university cinema. There is nothing to drive any urgency so far. I mean last year during the summer I watched a few films in a matter of weeks. To name two - Inception and Toy Story 3. They both had that extra something that made me want to be one of the people that saw it in the cinema, particularly with Toy Story I wanted to be one of the first to see it on the big screen.

I'm afraid to say nothing has done that so far this year, but there’s still hope, and I’m almost certain that I will make at least one visit to the cinema this summer, although I have no idea what that film will be yet.

I suppose one good thing is that we've entered what I'm calling 'Oscar DVD Season'. As I expressed in an early blog - films are often released quite strategically in order to propel themselves into the minds of judges during the Oscar season, and giving them a better chance of recognition at the awards ceremony. That obviously also means that all of those films that shone during the Oscars will end up being released all around the same time onto DVD and Blu-Ray. That will mean the release of 'Black Swan' and 'The Kings Speech'. Two films that I didn't go and watch in the cinema, but look forward to seeing sometime in the future.

I suppose I should now turn my focus onto some future films that are in store for us all. A New action/thriller film called 'Hanna' has sprung up on me from nowhere, and to be honest I don't know too much about this film, but it's suddenly caught my attention. It's been described as 'Bourne-like', but that’s the case for so many films nowadays that I take any statement like that with a pinch of salt. It seems to have a very generic thriller plotline. A trained assassin suddenly becomes the hunted, but with a twist - she's 16! I'll now refer back to earlier in this post regarding films that I can easily be patient in watching.

Also currently in the cinema is 'Thor', another Marvel Studios release as the gradually build up for 'The Avengers' which they hope to release in 2012, combining a number of their stars including Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, and more.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of 'Marvel' films; superhero movies in general don't appeal to me that much (with certain exceptions such as 'The Dark Knight).

Although I must admit that there is something about Thor that interests me. My best guess is that I’m simply being attracted by the fact that it is directed by the brilliant Kenneth Branagh. It certainly adds some class and quality simply with his name on the back of the director’s chair. And from what I’ve seen in pictures and trailers, the film looks visually impressive, and the reviews have been positive.

It is definitely a film that I would be interested in watching - just not at the cinema!

Look out for the next 'World of Film' when I'll be looking at this year’s Summer Blockbusters.

0 comments:

Post a Comment