Tuesday 22 March 2011

The class system - How strong is it?

Me and my housemates had a discussion yesterday regarding the class system. We were wondering whether it is still going strong.

Obviously, they aren't as clear as they were many years ago when you had chimney sweepers and 'gentlemen' walking around with top hats. But I feel there are still distinctions between those further up the ladder compared with the ones sitting at the bottom. Or are there?

An exaple i'm going to use is shopping. You always see the richer(usually elderly) people entering into Marks and Spencers for thier knitted jumpers and frozen steak and kidney pies. While you see the poorer(usually students) entering places like Primark and poundland to find the cheapest of the cheap.
Now this isn't a criticism, this is an observation, and i think you'd agree that it's a true one.

Although, i'm sure if any student suddenly became wealthy, they wouldn't start buying thier food and clothing from Marks and Spencers. They may still return to Primark, or go for slightly pricier(but trendy) shops. This could be because M & S have established thier target market as older, or perhaps because we just don't want to step out of our 'zone' that we've been set.

You know what? I have no idea what i'm talking about now, and for that I apologise. I thought this was going to be a witty observation of todays society and class system. But instead it seems like i've just been waffling on about complete rubbish. The fact i'm writing this shows how far off track i've gone. I don't know how to save this blog. I could scrap it, but i think the world deserves to see me fail miserably. Ironically, one of my housemates was suggesting i would be able to give blogging tips to which i replied 'its quite easy actually'. Now i've made myself look like an idiot. Great.

Until next time.... O_o

0 comments:

Post a Comment